Sept 2000 – 2005: Research Associate/PhD Candidate (Human Biomechanics), Human Performance Laboratory, Faculty of Kinesiology, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB (supervisor: Walter Herzog)
1993 – 1997: Doctor of Chiropractic, Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College, Toronto, ON
1989 – 1992: Masters Degree in Medical Science (Specialization: Neuroscience), Neurosciences Research Group, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB (supervisor: Samuel Weiss)
1988- 1989: Certificate in Biotechnology (Chemical Engineering), Southern Alberta Institute of Technology, Calgary, AB
1982 – 1985: Bachelors Degree Zoology (Premedical), University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
1981 – 1982: University Sciences Transfer Program, Fraser Valley College, Abbotsford, BC
1980: Grade 12 Matriculation, St. George’s Anglican School, Vancouver, BC
2006 – current: Private Practice of Chiropractic Experience (Owner/Clinic Director), Sundance Chiropractic & Wellness, 47 Sunmills Drive S.E., Calgary, AB
1999 – current: Private Practice of Chiropractic (Owner), SAIT Campus Chiropractic, SAIT Campus Health Center, Senator Burns Bldg. room R41, 1301 – 16th Ave N.W., Calgary, AB
1999 – 2006: Private Practice of Chiropractic (Associate), Village Square Chiropractic and Rehabilitation Clinic, Suite 121, 2640 – 52nd St. N.E., Calgary, AB
1997 – 1999: Private Practice of Chiropractic (Associate), Calgary Chiropractic Clinic, Suite 101B, 801 – 10th St. S.W.., Calgary, AB
1989 – current: Senior Scientific & Medical Editor, JSS Japan Editorial Services, Sonobe PO Box 5, Sonobe-cho, Funai-gun, Kyoto 622, Japan
1985 – 1987: First Aid / Safety Attendant & Coordinator, Greenlaw Logging Co., Sointula, BC
1982 – 1983: Lifeguard / Instructor (part-time), UBC Aquatic Center, Vancouver, BC
Symons BP, Herzog W, Leonard T, Nguyen H. Reflex responses Publications associated with Activator treatment. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2000; 23:155-159.
Herzog W, Kats M, Symons B. The effective forces transmitted by high-speed, low-amplitude thoracic manipulation. Spine 2001; 26:2105-2110.
Symons BP, Westaway M. Virchow’s Triad and spinal manipulative therapy of the cervical spine. Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Assoc. 2001; 45(4): 225-231.
Herzog W, Symons B. The biomechanics of spinal manipulation (invited review). Crit Rev Phys and Rehab Medicine 2002; 10(1-2): 191-216.
Symons BP, Leonard T, Herzog W. Internal forces sustained by the vertebral artery during spinal manipulative therapy. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2002; 25: 504-510.
Herzog W, Symons B. The mechanics of neck manipulation with special consideration of the vertebral artery. Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Assoc. 2002; 46(3): 134-136.
Westaway MD, Stratford P, Symons B. False-negative extension/rotation pre-manipulative screening test on a patient with an atretic and hypoplastic vertebral artery. Manual Therapy 2003; 8(2): 120
Forand D, Drover J, Suleman Z, Symons B, Herzog W. The forces applied by female and male chiropractors during thoracic spinal manipulation. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2004; 27: 49-56.
Taylor SH, Arnold ND, Biggs L, Colloca CJ, Mierau DJ, Symons BP, Triano JJ. A review of the literature pertaining to the efficacy, safety, educational requirements, uses and usage of mechanical adjusting devices. Part 1 of 2. Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Assoc. 2004; 48(1): 74-88.
Taylor SH, Arnold ND, Biggs L, Colloca CJ, Mierau DJ, Symons BP, Triano JJ. A review of the literature pertaining to the efficacy, safety, educational requirements, uses and usage of mechanical adjusting devices. Part 2 of 2. Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Assoc. 2004; 48(2): 152-161.
Ross K, Herzog W, Symons BP. Chapter 3: Biomechanics of the Low Back. In: Morris CE (Ed.): Low Back Syndromes – Integrated Clinical Management. McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing, New York, 2006.
Wuest S, Symons B, Leonard T, Herzog W. Preliminary report: Biomechanics of Vertebral Artery Segments C1-C6 During Cervical Spinal Manipulations. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2010; 33: 273-278.
Symons B, Wuest S, Tang C, Herzog W. A comparison of the forces generated by cervical spinal manipulation in live subjects versus cadavers. 2011 (manuscript in preparation).
Posters & Presentations
Striatal Metabotropic Glutamate Receptor (poster). Western Presentations Pharmacology Society, Acapulco, Mexico (1989).
Pharmacologic characterization of the metabotropic glutamate receptor in murine neonatal striatal neurons in vitro (poster). Society for Neuroscience, St. Louis USA (1990).
Immunochemical characterization of Striatal Metabotropic Glutamate Receptor in vitro (poster). Society for Neuroscience, New Orleans, USA (1991).
Muscle reflex responses associated with Activator treatment (lecture). CCA Congress: Consortium of Canadian Chiropractic Research Centers, Calgary, AB (1998).
Reflex responses associated with spinal manipulative treatment (poster). Proceedings of the International Conference on Spinal Manipulation. Vancouver, BC (1998).
Biomechanics of the Vertebral Artery during Spinal Manipulation (invited lecture). Annual General Meeting, ACAC, Red Deer, AB (2003).
Biomechanics of the Vertebral Artery during Spinal Manipulation (invited lecture). Ordre des Chiropractiens Annual Research Convention, St. Jerome, QC (2004).
Seminars & Postgraduate Training
- Patient Communication Workshop, Bayer Institute, 2003
- Active Release Techniques (Spine), New York Chiropractic Training College, 2006
- Active Release Techniques (Upper Extremity), New York Chiropractic College, 2007
- Investigator Training, Alberta College & Association of Chiropractors, 2003-2010
- Expert Witness Testimony, Texas Chiropractic College, 2008
- Chiropractic Medical-Legal Issues, Texas Chiropractic College, 2008
- Ancillary Diagnostic testing Procedures, Texas Chiropractic College, 2008
- Functional Examination of Soft Tissues & Treatment by Manual Methods, Somatic Senses, 2008
- Essentials of Record-Keeping, CMCC, 2009
- Orthopaedic & Neurologic Evaluation, Texas Chiropractic College, 2010
- Pain Mechanisms Update: Science and Clinical Applications, Northwestern Health Sciences University, 2011
- Professional Boundaries for the Doctor of Chiropractic: Cultural Communications & Awareness, Northwestern Health Sciences University, 2011
- previously-qualified as an Expert in Chiropractic Medicine, Chiropractic Standards of Care & the Biomechanics of Spinal Manipulation, Court of Queens Bench, Calgary, Alberta, Feb. 2009 (Action No. 0201-15380)
- previously-qualified as an Expert in the Biomechanics of Spinal Manipulation of the Cervical Spine & the Forces Exerted on the Vertebral Artery, Court of Queens Bench, Edmonton, Alberta, Dec. 2009 (Action No. 040302807)
- previously-qualified as an Expert in Chiropractic & the Biomechanics of Spinal Manipulation of the Spine, Court of Queens Bench, Edmonton, Alberta, Mar. 2010 (Action No. 040301160)
- 1978 – 80: Duke of Edinburgh Award (Bronze & Silver)
- 1980: Scouts Canada (Rovers) Special Environmental Award
- 1979 – 81: Royal Life Saving Society of Canada Bronze Medallion & Bronze Cross
- 1982: Red Cross Canada Instructor
- 1982: National Lifeguard Service Award
- 1988-89: President’s Honor Roll, Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
- 1989 – 90: University of Calgary Graduate Student Award
- 1990: Radiation Safety Certificate, University of Calgary Safety Office
- 1990: Huntington’s Society of Canada Studentship Award (declined)
- 1990-92: AHFMR Studentship Award for Biomedical Research
- 1995: A.E. Homewood Research Award, CMCC
- 2001-05: FCER Research Fellowship Award
Activities & Affiliations
- Volunteer & On-site Clinician, Calgary Urban Project Society Affiliations (CUPS) (1998-2000)
- Volunteer & Outsource Clinician, AIDS Calgary (1999-2001)
- Volunteer Clinician, Chiropractic Overseas Relief (CORE), Polyclinico Principale, Nuevo Gerona, La Isla de la Juventud, Cuba (2003)
- Member in Good Standing, Canadian Chiropractic Association (CCA)
- Member in Good Standing, Alberta College & Association of Chiropractors (ACAC)
- Member in Good Standing, Canadian Chiropractic Protective Association (CCPA)
- Investigative Review Team, Disciplinary Committee, ACAC (current)
- Editorial Reviewer, Journal of the CCA (current)
- Member in Good Standing, North America Cervicogenic Headache Society
- Member in Good Standing, Association of Canadian Ergonomists
- Student Member in Good Standing, International Society for Biomechanics (2000-2005)